Hospital Patient Burned In Mid-Surgery Explosion When Laser Ignites Fart
Submitted by: trimble⚫ 5 months ago
How's that for a headline!? Apparently, a patient in Tokyo farted during cervix surgery, which ignited a fire that led to burns all over her body, so don't laugh. OK, you can laugh a little -- a sensible chuckle, if you will.
The incident happened this past April, but the Tokyo Medical University Hospital report was n't released until October 28 after experts (fart experts?) concluded that there were no flammable materials present during the surgery.
"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser," the report states, "and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."
A committee of experts charged with investigating the incident ruled that there were no other flammable materials present at the time of surgery and the equipment that was used did not malfunction, leading them to believe the woman's flatulence was the culprit.